1. Complete the text with the words below.
came saw stopped crying took walking following raining reading
I was ___________ home last night. It was very dark and it was ___________. The street was empty, but suddenly, I ___________ a man standing at the corner. He was ____________ the newspaper under the rain. I was walking slowly past him when he ____________ me and asked the time. I told him that I didn’t have a watch. He was acting very strangely, so I started to walk faster. Then I noticed he was ____________ me, and I started to run. He caught hold of my arm, snatched my bag and disappeared. Luckily, a policeman ____________ a few minutes later and talked to me. I was ____________ and screaming out loud. He ____________ the details of the man to catch the thief.
2. Imagine that you are a newspaper reporter. Write a newspaper article about a robbery in a public place. Answer the questions below before you start your work. Don’t forget to write a headline for the news.
1. Where was the robbery?
2. When did it take place?
3. How many robbers were there?
4. Were they wearing disguises?
5. Were they armed?
6. What did the workers / customers do?
7. Was anybody injured?
8. What did the robbers take?
9. How did they get away?
10. Who called the police?
11. When did the police arrive?
12. Did the police catch the robbers?
1. Match the paintings with the names of the ancient civilizations. Write the appropriate numbers in the boxes
1. Ancient China 2. Ancient Mayan 3. Ancient Greece 4. Ancient India 5. Ancient Egypt 6. Babylonian Empire
2. Which civilizations invented the items below? Search the Net and write the names of the civilizations next to the items.
1. Read the paragraphs and draw lines to match them with the ancient civilizations. Refer to the Student’s Book if needed.
Printing, paper-making, the compass and gunpowder are the four great inventions of them. They also invented many other things ranging from kites to toilet paper. They used to learn the time from shadow clocks and sundials.
They were very good at Math and Architecture, but they were also very good at medicine, too. They had knowledge of anatomy, injuries and practical treatments. They used to eat garlic and onions for good health.
They were very good at literary world, too. Playwright Aeschylus invented “drama”. Sophocles developed “irony” as a literary technique. And Euipedes used plays to give social messages. They used to perform plays in stone theaters.
They invented the zero and measured the length of a solar year with great accuracy. They also used first scientific methods to produce food. They didn’t use to eat much meat. Their favorite drink was chocolate.
2. Look at the time line below. Write the names of the civilizations next to the colored boxes. Use the dates in the boxes in part 1.
1. Read the text and answer the questions.
1. What did most of the people use to do in Ancient Greece to earn their lives?
2. How was the life of a typical rich family then?
3. Who were some of the important philosophers in Ancient Greece?
4. What was the importance of Pythagoras and Archimedes in history?
5. What did the philosophers try to do then?
They also made great contributions to science and art. Eratosthenes was among the first to declare that the Earth was round. Other Greek mathematicians like Pythagoras and Archimedes also made priceless contributions to the foundation of modern arithmetic and geometry. The father of modern medicine was a Greek named Hippocrates. Greek people used to like philosophy. Among the great philosophers of the ancient world were Socrates, Plato and Aristotle. They tried to understand abstract ideas such as goodness, knowledge, pleasure and the soul. We can’t fully understand some of these ideas even today.
2. Draw lines to match the two parts to make meaningful sentences according to the article.
The typical rich family used to live… barley, wheat, grapes and olives.
Greek citizens used to have… in a huge stone house with a garden.
Greek people used to like… dozens of slaves to do the housework.
Most of the citizens used to grow… philosophy, arithmetic and geometry.
Most of the rich families used to have… plenty of time for leisurely activities.